1987 Mercedes-Benz R107 420 SL with Grey Leather (278)
Midnight Blue (904) with Grey Leather (278) / 420 SL
Mercedes-Benz 420SL Mignight Blue (904) with Grey Leather (278), Dark Blue Soft top (744) and matching hard top.
2 Keys, Air Conditioning and Extremely Low Mileage.
The 420SL arrived as the closing act in the M116 engine’s years of reliable combusting, taking over the role of the 380SL and offering customers a midway point between the 300SL and the 500SL. The 420SL is the least common R107 produced, with less than 3,000 leaving the production lines for global distribution. Other than the power plant and the badge, there wasn’t any difference between the 420SL and its siblings, which made it under appreciated in period.
However, when it comes to acquiring classic Mercedes-Benz models, only a few key things count: provenance, specification, rarity and condition. The example here is one that ticks all four boxes without fail. Overall, this is a fine pedigree that has been well-cared for over the years and some might even say, too well cherished. It might not be obvious, but this 420SL has been used sparingly, for weekends in the sun and trips onto the continent.
The Midnight Blue (904) exterior paint is still exceptional and somewhat justifies the hefty price tag of the 420SL back in 1987. The paintwork preservation has worked a treat to keep this deep metallic Blue mirroring the ocean waves. The colour itself lasted the final five years of production, making it more exclusive than some of the more common paint finishes such as Signal Red. As you can see the flat face 15″ light-alloy wheels are as new and have been balanced with the alignment arrow straight ready to be driven away.
Inside the Grey Leather (278) remains beautifully finished with minimal signs of wear. Despite the vehicle’s age, there are no creases characteristic of old leather – partly due to the little use of this 420SL. In addition, the leather is in tact with no rips to the seams or stains. There is a minor mark on the passengers seat edge. This 420SL is equipped with Air Conditioning from the factory, heated seats, a fire extinguisher, outside temperature gauge, heated screen, cruise control and headlamp wash/wipe. This is a high-specification R107 that would have cost a pretty penny in 1987, simply due to the modern conveniences available – this is a classic convertible that WILL keep up with modern traffic and probably outdoes some modern vehicles on the technology front.
This vehicle would be suitable for someone looking to consistently enjoy the open road, or someone looking to invest in an appreciating asset that will be extremely sought after as we progress further into the 21st century.
- 238 CITY DRIVE LIGHT FOR GREAT BRITAIN
- 240 OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE INDICATOR
- 256 REAR AXLE WITH LIMITED-SLIP DIFFERENTIAL
- 341 ADDITIONAL BLINKER LAMPS
- 362 RHD VEHICLES AS PER EC REGULATIONS (CONTROL CODE)
- 440 TEMPOMAT (CRUISE CONTROL)
- 461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
- 507 OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR, LEFT AND RIGHT, HEATED (ELECTRICALLY ADJUSTABLE ON THE RIGHT)
- 524 PAINTWORK - PRESERVATION
- 551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM
- 565 REAR SEATS USED ON SL MODELS
- 585 BEHR AIR CONDITIONER AND ELECTRIC WINDOW LIFTERS (FRONT DOORS)
- 592 HEAT-INSULATING GLASS, ALL-AROUND, HEATED REAR WINDOW PANE, BAND FILTER
- 603 HEADLAMP WIPER UNIT AND OIL FOR REAR AXLE WITH LIMITED-SLIP DIFFERENTIAL, IN CANISTERS AND CONTAINERS
- 613 HEADLAMP LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC
- 682 FIRE EXTINGUISHER
- 744 DARK BLUE SOFT TOP FABRIC 5010
- 873 SEAT HEATER FOR LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT SEATS
- Midnight Blue (904)
- Grey Leather (278)