1987 Mercedes-Benz R107 420 SL #2375
Smoke Silver (7020) with Brazil Leather (273) / 420 SL
SLSHOP showroom listing
Overview of this Mercedes-Benz
Mercedes-Benz 420SL (R107) Smoke Silver (7020) with Brazil Leather (273)
- Well-documented history
- Verified low mileage of under 23,000
- Two keys
As archivists of a range of classic Mercedes-Benz models, we are tasked with trawling through a vehicle’s history to understand what, who, when and how it has been used and cared for… This often reveals a variety of interesting stories that have been long forgotten by the wider public. This particular 420SL brought a criminal case back to light, involving an infamous Turkish-Cypriot business owner.
If you remember the firm Polly Peck International, you’ll know exactly what this story relates to. For those that don’t, you’ll be wondering how this 420SL relates to the story. Well, in 1993, the owner of Polly Peck, Asil Nadir fled the UK to Northern Cyprus due to a multi-million pound fraud trial he was facing. It wasn’t until 2010 that the disgraced millionaire voluntarily returned to the UK to face jail time of ten years. With the original purchase form showing Nadir’s name and clippings from a 1993 Daily Mail present in the files, as well as a digital update on the case from 2012, we can confirm that this 420SL was owned by Asil Nadir.
ABOUT THIS 420SL
Ordered new in 1987, the Smoke Silver led a life of little use, with the miles accumulating mostly in the 1990s. During this time, a new tracker was fitted to the vehicle, perhaps in place of an alarm system that was an expensive option when purchasing new. The 420SL benefits from Cruise Control, leather rear seats, electric windows, a limited slip differential, fire extinguisher and paintwork preservation. The latter of which has worked wonders to preserve the Smoke Silver exterior.
Inside, the autumnal Brazil Leather upholstery and carpets are in excellent condition, with the leather showing just the right amount of creasing to give a rugged but plush presence. All the dials emit an orange glow as when new, with the central spine and dash wood in excellent condition. The Brown Soft Top shows no tears with all windows and seals in tact.
As with all our stock, this 420SL has undergone some rectification work in our Workshops to ensure the new owner is set up for a minimum of the first year of driving. The vehicle wants for nothing, with the opportunity to be utilised immediately.
Speak to Bruce today to find out more about this 420SL.
- 238 CITY DRIVE LIGHT FOR GREAT BRITAIN
- 256 REAR AXLE WITH LIMITED-SLIP DIFFERENTIAL
- 341 ADDITIONAL BLINKER LAMPS
- 362 RHD VEHICLES AS PER EC REGULATIONS (CONTROL CODE)
- 440 TEMPOMAT (CRUISE CONTROL)
- 461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
- 507 OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR, LEFT AND RIGHT, HEATED (ELECTRICALLY ADJUSTABLE ON THE RIGHT)
- 524 PAINTWORK - PRESERVATION
- 543 SUN VISOR WITH VANITY MIRROR, ILLUMINATED, LEFT AND RIGHT
- 565 REAR SEATS USED ON SL MODELS
- 583 ELECTRIC WINDOW LIFTERS (FRONT DOORS)
- 592 HEAT-INSULATING GLASS, ALL-AROUND, HEATED REAR WINDOW PANE, BAND FILTER
- 603 HEADLAMP WIPER UNIT AND OIL FOR REAR AXLE WITH LIMITED-SLIP DIFFERENTIAL, IN CANISTERS AND CONTAINERS
- 613 HEADLAMP LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC
- 682 FIRE EXTINGUISHER
- 746 FOLDING TOP FABRIC 8023, DARK BROWN
About The Mercedes-Benz
- Smoke Silver (7020)
- Brazil Leather (273)
Book A Viewing or Video Walk Around