107 450 SL | 0-60 in 4.0 Sec | 294 BHP
Signal Red / Bucket Seats, Roll Cage
The paint had barely dried on our road going SportLine 300SL prototype before SportLine Racer plans were being hatched.
We applied all of the lessons learnt with the SportLine build and applied them to a USA spec 450SL. By adding a manual gearbox and removing the restrictive exhaust system we were able to extract a raw track beast from this sedate grand tourer. The improved suspension geometry from the 300SL SportLine was tweaked for the extra weight of a V8 engine and combined with racing components to give the desired ride and handling.
The end result is truly exhilarating, a tremendously exciting proposition Our SportLine R is fited with racing seats, harnesses and a roll cage and is compliant with most forms of classic motor racing.
- Lightened and balanced flywheel and crank
- Revised injection system (featuring larger Mercedes-Benz injectors)
- Distribution Pack replacd with modern ignition coil pack for a more precise spark and better throttle response
- Mapped ignition via Omex ECU
- Free-flow performance air filter
- Re-engineered throttle linkage for better pedal response
- Performance camshaft with revised cam profile, tuned for torque
- Ported and polished head for better breathing
- Bespoke stainless steel exhaust system
- Mercedes-Benz 5 speed manual gearbox
- Adjustable progressive springs and bespoke dampers, tuned to the weight and feel of the car
- Bespoke anti-roll bar
- Aluminium rear trailing arms with anti-squat links
- Stronger, uprated suspension bushes
- Performance discs, vented and grooved for effective cooling
- Performance brake pads
- Limited-slip differential for improved traction and acceleration
- Full professional geometry set-up
- Removal of unnecessary interior components depending on application
- Bespoke Roll Cage fabrication
- Race seating fitment to required specification for driver
- Range of alternative steering wheels dependent on application to included dished options
- Fitment of 4/5/6 point harness’ to driver and passenger seating
- Installation of tracking, timing and video recording equipment
Although the R107 SL was superbly engineered, we always knew the platform was capable of more. Customers were looking to make the car drive, respond and brake in line with modern performance standards. With this in mind, we started the SportLine project.
Using the 300SL as a base, we lightened the crank and flywheel, ported and polished the cylinder head, installed a performance camshaft and replaced the ignition and fuelling with modern components. Our team was also able to shorten the throttle linkage, which transforms the way the three litre six cylinder responds through the gears. With a custom exhaust and manifold, the 300SL SportLine produces 255bhp, which is more than a factory standard 500SL.
The finished car drives and handles unlike any other R107 SL. SportLine #001, our Signal Red 300SL laid the groundwork for what was to come. Since the build was completed, we have built numerous SportLine cars for customers around the world, each one to an individual brief. We have also added a SportLine range to our Parts Store, giving our customers the option to add a SportLine touch to their own cars.
Where will you take the SportLine story next?
It all started with a question: can the iconic R107 Mercedes-Benz SL meet the expectations of modern performance car drivers? After restoring, repairing and maintaining many R107s, we found customers asking the same sort of questions. Can we firm up the ride a little? Can we improve the pedal response? Can we get more power without losing the character of the car? And so, with the keen driver in mind, the SportLine project was launched.
It doesn’t have to stop there, our extensive range of upgrade parts will give you a taste of SportLine at home. From Engine and gearbox upgrades to sports suspension and even cosmetic touches, you don’t have to undergo the full SLSHOP conversion in order to make improvements to the look and feel of your Mercedes SL where you want to most.
We’ve picked out some of our favourites, however; you can view our full range of SportLine performance parts in the catalogue below.
Performance anti-roll bars
Reduce pitching and body roll with our up-rated sway bars, offering better stability without compromising comfort through a combination of superior materials, a thicker diameter and polyurethane bushes.
Adjustable tow and camber kits
One of the biggest benefits to a cars handling is having it set-up and balanced properly. Our adjustable trail arm bushes allow Tow and Camber to be altered, where the factory set-up lacks this adjustment.
Adjustable coil springs
These stiffer coils with their adjustable spring cups offer a more modern feel to the drive of your SL, with the added stability of lowering the ride height by 70mm, or more if you like.
Drilled & Vented brake discs
Whether your preference is the city or a mountain road, you want the assurance that your Mercedes SL stops as well as it goes. With these heavy duty brake rotors and the option for performance pads, we’ve got it covered!
7×15” Bundt Alloys
Our dished 15” ‘Mexican Hat’ wheels fill the arch nicely whilst retaining the classic look. Also unlocking a plethora of compatible tyres when there is a very limited market for the now dated 205/14 size
Stainless Steel performance exhausts
Nothing but the best; our stainless steel exhaust systems have been hand crafted in the UK since the days when these cars were new. With the option to turn up the volume if you wish!
Limited Slip Differential
With the Sportline delivering an increase in BHP of more than 35% and improvements in throttle response, that extra Oomph needs somewhere to go. An LSD upgrade is a must have, one of our most popular Sportline upgrades.
Re-profiled steering wheel
Take control our your Mercedes SL with the SportLine steering wheel. A thicker profile, thumb pads and hand stitching give this old helm a new lease of life. Leather, of course!
You May Also Like
Why not get behind the wheel of our
Sportline race car see see how it feels.